Locations in Sioux Falls & Mitchell

How do I get paid for lost wages and injury from a motor vehicle accident?

Alvine Weidenaar, Personal Injury

If your involved in a motor vehicle accident and suffered an injury chances are you will likely miss work and lose wages as a direct result.  You may even have suffered a permanent injury requiring surgery. Unfortunately, you may be permanently and totally disabled from your injuries preventing you from ever working or enjoying life again.

In South Dakota, a person who is injured in a motor vehicle accident from the negligent driving of another can get compensated for both their economic (lost wages and medical bills) and non-economic damages (pain and suffering, permeant injury, and loss of enjoyment of life).

For example, let’s say a person is injured in a motor vehicle accident requiring surgery amassing medical bills of $100,000 to their neck. They are out 12 weeks from work due to their injury working 40 hours a week earning $20.00 hr. At first you will be without income unless you have a short-term disability policy. However, you can recover for your lost wages incurred and future lost wages if your unable to go back to your regular occupation.  Your claim for damages would include your incurred lost wages (40 hrs. x 20 = $800 week x 12 weeks = $9,600) and also your reasonably certain future lost wages potentially for your lifetime. In addition to lost wages you will also be able to recover your medical bills of $100,000 plus interest incurred as well as any reasonably certain future medical bills to be incurred. 

In addition to the above economic damages, you will also be able to recover for non-economic damages which include pain and suffering which you incurred and likely will incur into the future along with compensation for the loss of enjoyment of life and permanent injury.  Often people who are seriously injured in an accident never fully recover and their lives are disrupted forever. In South Dakota, there is not a limit or cap on your non-economic damages for pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Thus, you need a skilled trial lawyer like our lawyers at Alvine Weidenaar, LLP to help you calculate your damages and pursue a maximum recovery.  Often, a lawsuit is not needed to be filed.

If you or a loved one are involved in a motor vehicle accident suffering serious bodily injury you should contact us at Alvine Weidenaar, LLP immediately so we can begin putting your case together to maximize your recovery.  We strongly advise against representing yourself. Chances are that you have never been through the process before and you can bet the insurance adjuster has.

At Alvine Weidenaar, LLP we never represent insurance companies. We take on the big insurance companies to get you compensated fully for your injuries. Call us today for a free consultation. We fight for the injured.

Get the help you need today!

Our legal team’s expertise allows us to quickly evaluate your claim to allow you to get back to living your life.